Tuesday 7 June 2016

 Narendra Modi at the Arlington Cemetery : An Indian Prime Minister in the land of Indians

Time to remember fellow Indians, who once blessed the land 


 Varanasi/New Delhi .  Narendra Modi  laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, at the Arlington Cemetery soon after his arrival  in Washington DC on Monday afternoon. Dead, soldiers and martyrs deserve respect. 
One wonders whether there exists any cemetery or memorial in honour or remembrance of native Indians who dwelled this land before the arrival of white settlers.  Necostin Indians were plundered and butchered by the encroachers and were driven to forests and hills. 
A few hundred surviving Indians live in reserves. And their land now houses military and administrative establishment of the Empire.
Modi is known for doing his home work about the places and people , to be visited, to be engaged with. But United States' Indian ethos is too much for him. 
Modi is to address US Congress at Capitol Hill on June 8. The temple of US democracy was build on land of Anacostian Indians . The soil is soaked with their blood and bones. 
At Capitol Hill Modi should pay homage to Indians and recite one of their poems as if reciting a Vedic richa-


Oh Great Spirit 
Of the Indian People
Hear my words 
For they are words that come
From the heart, soul and mind.
Oh Great Spirit
Be my eyes,
Be my ears, 
Be my heart, 
Be my soul,
So that I may walk 
With dignity and pride.
Oh Great Spirit 
Of the Indian People
Know of me. 
For I am of your people. 
I am Indian,
An Indian of the Circle of Life
A prisoner of war 
In my own land!

No comments:

Post a Comment